8.02.2010

la ville-lumière


Oh wow! Paris. Paris. Paris. I guess the best place to start is day one (I know what you're thinking - she's really going to do this day by day? It's going to take forever! Well, I'll try not to be too boring, deal?).

Paris Day One:
  • Overnight flight lands in Paris at 9:30am (3:30am NY time).
  • The Notre Dame. Beautiful, no surprise.
  • Archeological crypt. Let's be honest, it was boring. There's a little place called Rome that kinda puts this crypt to shame.
  • Deportation Memorial (for 200,000 French victims of the Nazi concentration camps). Sad and quiet.
  • Souvenirs at the Left Bank Booksellers. Fun.
  • A short walk along the Seine River. Same color as the Hudson - aw.
  • Shakespeare and Company Bookstore. Loved it, of course.
  • A midwest choral concert at St Severin. Those kids from Iowa can sing!
  • Observation of peaceful riot action in front of St. Michael. Good times. We all want a more unified France, don't we?
  • A walk around the Latin Quarter.
  • Oh my stained glass! at Sainte-Chapelle. BEAUTIFUL.
  • Historical prison Conciergerie. The last place Marie hung out before she lost her noggin.
  • Lots more walking and seeing of cool things that I'm probably forgetting that led us to the...
  • LOUVRE! I saw with my very own eyes:
  • Venus de Milo
  • Winged Victory of Samothrace
  • Mona Lisa (you can say she's small, but I was starstruck - a true masterpiece!)
  • The Raft of Medusa
  • And many, many, many other pieces of amazing art! Then...
  • The Eiffel Tower! (yes, this is still day one. I know.) Much cooler from a distance, but we still went up because, hey, we're in Paris!
  • Smooching in Champs de Mars while we watch the sparkling (it sparkles!) Eiffel Tower.
  • Falling dead asleep in teensy hotel room.
Voici les photos!

Say I'm from America!


Wait in line and look up.


St. Denis: first bishop of Paris, decapitated in 257 AD and supposedly walked 4 miles with his head in his hands before collapsing


Flying buttresses, anyone?


Boring.


I love Paris!



New York definitely needs more accordions.


200,000 little lights; each one for a life lost.


Can I take a nap on your books?





Que La Lumière Soit:
Sainte-Chapelle stained glass depicts over 1,100 Biblical scenes.


Can you find her name?


Say I'm a tourist!

Wow. Hi there. Just in case you didn't believe me. I really did see her.

When Abbie gets grumpy, stick something covered in Nutella in her mouth.


Okay, now I need to unpack, do some laundry and take care of the month old layer of dust covering our apartment.

More tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my. So beautiful. My husband lived in Paris for a few years in his early teens. I've always wanted to go back there. It's like I've told you, you are living the life I want - you are just faster at getting things done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys did a ton in one day! I was remembering my sore feet from Paris just reading the list. If all your days were just as jam packed, then I am way impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo soo jealous! The one day I was in Paris when I went backpacking, the Louve was closed for the day and we didn't prep enough to see the Winged Victory of Samothrace (my 3rd favorite statue in the world, preceded by the Pieta in St. Peter's and one that's in the museum outside of the sistene chapel). Anyways, you are making me want to change our London plans to Paris... And!!! omgoodness stained glass windows!!!! I don't think it's possible to fall in love with them until you've gone to Europe. They know how to do em right : ) Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay- I cannot look at your blog with grumpy baby in my lap. But that first picture is a-maz-ing. I want to steal it and put it up in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbie! These pictures are AMAZING!!! I've keep scrolling up and down and enjoying the beautiful eye candy! You have such an eye for photography! just stunning.

    And how in the world could a day by day account of a trip to Europe be boring?! Um, no. Won't happen! Keep the pictures and stories coming! I love all the details you've included.

    Ah, LOVE these pictures!!! You look so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You BETTER make it a day-by-day. If it bores other people, tough! p.s. Dorrie is headed there (Paris) today for her honeymoon. You two will have to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAHH!!! It's all SOOOOOO beautiful!!! My absolute favorite statue in the world is the Winged Victory (with the Rape of Proserpina as a close second). And I am with you 100% on the nutella thing. Oh my heck... I need some right now. RIGHT NOW. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!! (Your blog always seems to make me say that. I just love you so much and I get so excited....) I am loving these pictures and you can take all the time you want blogging it in excruciating detail. I am loving it! I want to see everything. I want to go there. So bad. And it looks like you did it right, so I am taking copious notes so when I eventually go we can do all the good stuff. Yay, I can't wait to see more! (But you know, no rush... you can do your laundry and cook dinner and stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paris suits you well. You looked like Amelie! Can't wait for the barrage of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i lost track of how many pages back i had to go to get to the beginning of your trip. i'm so behind! but i think it will be a beautiful journey...

    your second to last photo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete